Playing Source Since the Beginning of Time
Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:33 AM

:    
Want to join us in Vent? Ask an admin for info while in game or PM them here on the forums!
74681 6615 681
: kevinson55
+  The Elders' House of Pain
|-+  Public Forum
| |-+  MDK's Board of useless crap!!!! (Moderator: MDK22)
| | |-+  What all goes into a Config.
« previous next »
: [1]
: What all goes into a Config.  ( 1887 )
MDK22
No Job, No Money, No Car
Forum Pro

: 499

AOL Instant Messenger - Uberarchangel
« : July 05, 2006, 02:58:19 PM »

Ok, i have now modified this post to make it more informative and more straight forward.

Drivers

First off if your are looking at this for just pure Frames Per Second or FPS. I suggest you try using a program called "Driver Cleaner Pro" you can get it from here.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

I suggest you install this.
Download the newest drivers from Nvidia or ATI.
Uninstall your current drivers.
Start the system up in safe mode by hitting F8 before you get your windows loading screen.
Run Driver Cleaner Pro.
Select the things pertaining to your card.
Restart your computer.
Install the new drivers.

If this doesn't work or you do not feel like doing this you can try installing tweaked drivers.

Tweaked drivers

There are a couple different sites that i know of for getting tweaked drivers.

ATi Recommended Drivers:

WarCat-Drivers: http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=158&Itemid=41/
Omega-Drivers: http://www.omegadrivers.net
DNA-Drivers: http://www.dna-drivers.com

nVidia Recommended Drivers:

DNA-Drivers: http://www.dna-drivers.com
NGO-Drivers: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=nvidia

I still recommend you run Driver Cleaner Pro.

Starting the Config

The first thing i am going to show you is how to make your own autoconfig the first thing to do is to open up notepad.

Opening Notepad

To open notepad you go to.
--------------------------------
Start.

All Programs.

Accessories.

Notepad.
--------------------------------

Config basics

Once you are in here the first thing you want to do is put exec pw.cfg at the top this allows your config to run nicely. The second thing that you want to do is lay out your config so that you have an idea where you are going to put things. To do this you have to make sure the program does not read the line that you are using to section off your information.

To do this we use these    //  .

They have to be the forward slash or else it does not work.

You cannot use /* and */ for all you people who have used programming.

So Far your notepad should have this
-------------------------------------
exec pw.cfg

// _ooooooooooooooooo_
// _Key Binds_
// _ooooooooooooooooo_

The reason why I put those lines there is so that it gives you an idea of where the line would be if it was underlined.

Binds

When you go to bind something the correct context is bind "key" "command". Now i use the button c to crouch so lets set this and I'll show you what it would look like.
exec pw.cfg

// _ooooooooooooooooo_
// _Key Binds_
// _ooooooooooooooooo_

bind "c" "+duck" // _Binds my key for crouch_

Notice how i put the // after the command along with what it does this is so when i decide to change it maybe some time down the road i can just open up the file and look for what it does and then i am done changing it is very easy. You just change the key it corresponds too.
So if i wanted to use k for crouch it would look like this.
exec pw.cfg

// _ooooooooooooooooo_
// _Key Binds_
// _ooooooooooooooooo_

bind "k" "+duck" // _Binds my key for crouch_

Style

You may be asking yourself why formatting is important. the reason why i find it is important is that you can easily read what you have written and make it easier onyourself to edit things so when you have a command i would csay tab over 3 times before you start to describe what the command does.

exec pw.cfg

// _ooooooooooooooooo_
// _Key Binds_
// _ooooooooooooooooo_

bind "k" "+duck"          // _Binds my key for crouch_

You will see the benefits of the way i have everythign formatted in time to come.

Rates

Here is a link to our own information about rates. First before you read this if a server is using CSP or ZBlock the cl_interp and cl_interpolate commands are set for you. Commands that start with sv are sever side commands.

http://www.theelders.net/forum/index.php?topic=2212.0

It states the Following:

I am listing this because i am tired of all you nubs not understanding rates.Don'tKnow
Yes, sometimes its just your ISP, in which case you cant do anything and we will kick you if you are tooo tooo bad.

So read up and gain knowledge  DownTown.

You can change these by going into your options --> Keyboard --> Advanced you can turn on your console. To acess your console you hit this key --> ~  . Then you can edit these values listed below but don't edit other ones not listed that can cause major problems with your system.

First command you should use is   net_graph 3    this will tell you how bad your choke is and what your loss is. Choke means too much is trying to be done at once. And loss is the result of choke. To shut this back off just do net_graph 0.

Quote: Widow

I found a few things online that explains pings and rates.

First here is a listing of commands that I will cover.

sv_maxupdaterate
rate
cl_cmdrate
cl_updaterate
cl_interp

OK here goes

sv_maxupdaterate - This is a serverside command, and does not do anything on your client. The reason why I have it here is to explain the command and how it works. Our Source server has an sv_maxupdaterate of 100. This is the maximum number of updates, per second, that the server can send. Even if it is set to 100, if the server is only maintaining 40 FPS then the rate will automatically be defaulted to 40.

rate  (0-25000) - Maximum amount of bytes that can be received from server in a second. Setting this value too low will cause choke and setting it too high will cause choke(if your connection cannot handle it). It is said the max value of this setting is 20000. Even 32 player CS servers in big battles hardly ever send out more than 12000 bytes a second.

Suggested values:
2000 - 3000 for 56k
10000 - 20000 cable/DSL (this would be the suggested value. I have mine at 15000)

cl_cmdrate (10 - unlimited) - This command is based on your FPS. If you are getting 35 FPS, you will only send out 35 packets of information a second. The higher you set this, the higher your latency will be. Some odd values will cause this to drop in half because it is not a multiple of your current FPS. Also, if you are sending the server 101 packets a second and the server is only running at 55 FPS, then something happens to the extra packets because it cannot read all of them. This easily explains why nothing registers anymore, the servers run at horrible FPS and only process 1/2 of the gameplay.
I would suggest finding out your FPS and setting this accordingly. Also, as stated above, this depends on the server FPS. Hopefully our server is running 100 FPS or more. I would think this should be no higher than 60.

cl_updaterate (10 - unlimited) - This command is based off of the server's sv_maxupdaterate value. If the server's value is 30, and you set cl_updaterate to 100, it does nothing. You will only receive the maximum amount of the packets that the server can send out(per second), no more. Now, if you set it lower than what the server is sending out, that is fine. Setting cl_updaterate 10 will make you only request 10 packets from a server if the server's sv_maxupdaterate is 60. Server limitations also affect this. If the server is running at 30 FPS and has a sv_maxupdaterate 60, only 30 updates (packets) will be sent out.
I would suggest this also be set around 60.

cl_interp (0 - .05) - This command controls the amount of time that Half-Life uses to predict the player movement during that period of time by using the last know position, speed, and direction of the player. If set too low the player will appear choppy. This accounts for the more accurate positioning of the model. If you set this to 0, CS will calculate it for you. You do not want to set this to 0 because CS uses your current cl_updaterate, not the server's. USE THE SERVER'S SV_MAXUPDATERATE WHEN YOU FIGURE THIS UNLESS YOUR CL_UPDATERATE IS LOWER THAN THE SV_MAXUPDATERATE. 1/sv_maxupdaterate is what you should use unless you cl_updaterate is lower than the server's.
Most of us use a lower cl_updaterate than the server so set it to 1/cl_updaterate for optimal interp.
Example: The sv_maxupdaterate on the server is 100 but your cl_updaterate is 60. you use 1/60 which would be .016. this would be optimal for your connection. If you set ex_interp in your userconfig.cfg or autoexec.cfg to .01 you will get an error and the rate will automatically be set for you. So find your best cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate then set this accordingly.

Quote:Vergas

here is a good script in which your rates will work correctly and your hitboxes will work

remember if you use this you will need net_graph 3 on and your in sectoin should be about 33.6

your rates should be set before this script as follows rate 20000 cmd 100 updaterate 100

//Developer alias
alias d0 "developer -1; con_notifytime 0"
alias d1 "con_notifytime 4; developer 1"
contimes 4

//cl_interp Adjustment
alias terp01 "cl_interp 0.0667; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 15.0  updates a second; d0;  alias terpup terp02; alias terpdn terp13"
alias terp02 "cl_interp 0.0500; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 20.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp03; alias terpdn terp01"
alias terp03 "cl_interp 0.0400; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 25.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp04; alias terpdn terp02"
alias terp04 "cl_interp 0.0333; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 30.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp05; alias terpdn terp03"
alias terp05 "cl_interp 0.0298; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 33.6  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp06; alias terpdn terp04"
alias terp06 "cl_interp 0.0250; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 40.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp07; alias terpdn terp05"
alias terp07 "cl_interp 0.0222; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 45.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp08; alias terpdn terp06"
alias terp08 "cl_interp 0.0200; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 50.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp09; alias terpdn terp07"
alias terp09 "cl_interp 0.0182; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 55.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp10; alias terpdn terp08"
alias terp10 "cl_interp 0.0167; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 60.0  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp11; alias terpdn terp09"
alias terp11 "cl_interp 0.0152; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 66.6  updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp12; alias terpdn terp10"
alias terp12 "cl_interp 0.0100; d1; echo net_graph 3 in = 100.0 updates a second; d0; alias terpup terp13; alias terpdn terp11"
alias terp13 "cl_interp 0.1000; d1; echo Default cl_interp of 0.1; d0; alias terpup terp01; alias terpdn terp12"
alias terpup "terp05"
alias terpdn "terp04"
bind "pgdn" "terpdn"
bind "pgup" "terpup"

Commands

Here is a link for you guys it includes all the commands and can be pretty helpful i will also have one attached at the end of this post if possible.

http://www.lawgiver.us/downloads/cvar2.txt

This gives a list of all of the various commands for the console. Which means it also lists all the commands tha tcan be used in our configs.

Another great resource for config information would be Casey's of course but then again she has her config setup for extremely poor machines or for people who dont care in the slightest if it looks as bad as, if not worse then 1.6.

http://forums.caleague.com/showthread.php?t=549

This is where my config comes in it makes slight variations to the game that you most likely wont notice unless u compare 2 pictures side by side of the same thing.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: